Sunday, April 26, 2009

A little German flavor




Some women spend their days at the spa or shopping, but me - I spend mine in the kitchen. I am a mans dream and I'm not talking "wet-dream"! I promise you Mr. Man is going no where anytime soon -- why would he - he's fed better than what you get in most restaurants!

Since getting laid-off in February I have re-discovered my first love - THE KITCHEN!! I've been busy trying out new recipes. Now if I could only put my "apron" idea together I'd have myself a great little niche business.

I discovered this recipe at the would be chef while searching for some "comfort" food and had to share. It was a hit with my family, but then, most is.....

If you've never made home-made egg noodles this is fool proof! EASY. Try it.


Recipe - Spätzle with Parmesan and Parsley

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for kneading
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 quarts low sodium chicken stock
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
1. In a medium bowl, combine water, flour, eggs and salt with a wooden spoon. Place dough mixture on a clean cutting board. Flour both sides of the dough and roll into a long rectangle, approximately 12 by 2-inches and 1/8-inch thick. With pizza cutter, cut into strips, 2-inches in length and 1/4-inch

wide.

2. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Drop spätzle in batches into boiling stock and cook until pasta floats to the surface. Remove and immediately transfer to the ice bath. Drain spätzle and hold on sheet pan. Continue with the other batches.

3. Once you’ve completed the cooking, in a medium saute pan, add butter, and melt over medium heat until butter turns a light brown. Add garlic and cook until it becomes lightly colored. Add spätzle to the pan to heat through. Add parsley, cheese, salt and pepper, to taste.

This is not only excellent; very it’s really wonderful, very filling and is pretty simple. If y

ou’ve never made your own noodles, this is a great dish to give it a go.

Servings: 4. Double for bigger eaters....



9 comments:

insanemommy said...

Good stuff!

Kim said...

YUMMY...
Looks very good.. and pretty simple..
I am all for simple.. due to getting home from work and trying to figure out something that is healthy to eat and easy..
Have a great week..
Hugs..
Have missed you.. but looks like you are crazy busy..COOKING..
Love ya girly

Snowflowers Mum said...

you saucy girl...

I think you are a hybrid of the naked chef and the domestic goddess.

the naked goddess!

there you go, your new handle!

The Naked Goddess steams up the Kitchen!

Christina said...

oh my goodness is Spätzle goooood!! one of my favourite German dishes!

Christy said...

I am sooo making that. I am all into comfort food and I too love to cook and this sounds like a winner. The only question was when I was reading it sounded like the the noodles before you cooked them would be thin but in your picture they looked pretty thick. How thick are the noodles supposed to be before they are cooked.

Thanks for this-- sounds great!

Heza Hekele said...

Alright, your hired. You start next Tuesday.

Mr.Brian said...

Pardom me but I think the chef looks like a pretty good dish too.LOLOLOL!!!
Nice to see a post again.Thinking of you and the hubby,hope he is doing well.

Yoli said...

Hope your dear husband is doing well. As to your cooking abilities, you my dear are a true domestic goddess! That looks delicious! What is this crap, you are beautiful and can cook like Martha Stewart? I have to hide your blog.

Mary McG in TN said...

You have not given us an update on your husband!! Am anxiously awaiting the good news!