Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Do you live here?

I was running late story of my life from work yesterday and decided to get dinner on the minute I flew through the door. I have this (not for long however) painful commute of 1 1/2 hours each way five days a week. Grueling. Anyway, I asked dh if he wouldn't mind getting the 'yung uns' ready ready for bed and I would be up to tuck them in. We normally both put the girls to bed in the evening. Bedtime has always been our special time with them. No interruptions just us.

I finish up in the kitchen I like to think of myself as Martha Stewart always creating something new and exciting -- anyhoots-- and head up the stairs. I could hear them laughing and carrying on in the girls room. I think to myself great daddy is getting them all wound up before bed-time. Don't be upset. I step into their room and there they stand bundled up in fleece footie pajama's! Not to mention the sweat pouring down their little faces. You would have thought it was 30 below instead of 80 degrees outside.

I asked very casually "why didn't you put them in their other pajamas"? Meaning... spring. He looked at me with this glazed over look and said very slowly -as if it were a trick question "what other pajamas? And then continued by saying "you said their pajamas are in the bottom drawer". Oh, you mean you actually listen to me? I guess I do hold a little clout after all. Ok, so he had me on that one. But I had told him numerous times that we only kept the winter jammies there however and the spring in another drawer.

I'm not upset or even shocked about dh not knowing where we keep these things as the real irony is he has no idea where he keeps his own sock, t-shirts, and underwear. I have to snicker as I watch him each and every morning slam the drawers in clear desperation looking for them. Like they walked off in the middle of the night! There is always a little sigh when he finally hits the right door like he just discovered the mother lode. I have to chuckle.

7 comments:

Diana said...

It's like "deja vu" reading your blog today. DH of mine did the exact same thing...all bundled in their pink penquin, footed fleece pj's. I asked DH just where were the girls going to go to bed? The Arctic? The frustrating part was that the girls were so attached to wearing these particular p.j's they refused to change them!!! urghhh Who's the Boss?

D2 said...

I don't know... reading your blog and Senja's blog and all the comments... somehow the hubbies are getting a bad rap here...

Some of us actually have clue. I know where the girls' clothes are. I frequently dress them in the morning (heck, I was alone with them for 5 days). And I even know where my own socks are...

I'll start a petition about the gender related stereotypes in blogs!
(of course on my reading list of 60+ adoption blogs there is ONE written by a man, the rest are women...)

crazylady said...

Let's just call Dirk 'special' okay ladies? *wink*

Ani said...

soooo funny - my husband does the same thing! for YEARS his clothes have been in the same drawers, and he still forgets which holds his socks, underwear, etc. does the same thing in the kitchen when looking for cups, glasses or silverware... sigh.

Jen said...

You commute three hours a day?? Cripes!

My husband does the same thing, sadly. I think most do....

insanemommy said...

Hello ladies -- uh and Dirk not to be forgotten! Dirk, you are "special". I am at the library today again(no comment Dirk) damn power cord didn't come, however they sent me a new keyboard. What?? My dh does not know where anything in the kitchen goes, cups, plates, bowls....etc, etc. I swear he does this so he doesn't have to put anything away. I now have figured out his master plan.hmmmm.....

Oh, and I still choose what the girls will wear each day and place them on the chair... I know... total control freak.

Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds so much like what goes on in our household ON A DAILY BASIS. We have "confused husband syndrome" regular occurances--and I to pick out the kids clothes because my husband doesn't know where are either. HHMMM maybe it's a man thing.